Rotating Prism System
The Rotating Prism System is an accessory for the Micro-Electrophoresis Apparatus, enabling faster and easier determination of particle speed. The system consists of a control unit, with a simple keyboard and display and a prism unit. The prism unit can be fitted to the Electrophoresis Apparatus simply by taking off the binocular head, putting the prism unit on in its place, then putting the binocular head onto the prism unit.
The prism gives everything viewed through the microscope an apparent motion. The prism is rotated so that the apparent motion is in the opposite direction to the actual motion of the particles. The speed of the prism is then adjusted so that the particles appear stationary. The display then gives a direct reading of particle speed (after the unit has been calibrated initially).
The advantages of the system when used with the Micro-Electrophoresis Apparatus are as follows:
- A large number of particles are observed at once. The human eye can easily detect when (say) five particles are all stationary or if four are stationary and one is not, even though the eye is unwilling to time more than one moving particle at once.
- The tendency, when timing individual particles, to pick out the big bright one is removed. Such large particles may not be typical of the total population.
- A shorter time is needed to get an average based on a given number of particles.
- If the particle mobilities are very heterogeneous then this is immediately obvious and steps can be taken.
- If the dispersion is a mixture of two types of particle with different mobilities then not only is this immediately evident but the two types can be separately brought to the stationary state and their particle speed measured, in the presence of each other.
The prism can be stopped and measurements taken on individual particles in the usual manner.
The manuals on this website are provided as PDF files, please see the Downloads page for links to reader software.
The Rotating Prism can only be used in conjunction with our Micro-Electrophoresis Apparatus.
|ELE003A||Rotating Prism System|
Rank Brothers Ltd reserves the right to change specifications in the light of continuing development.